||Сивостен :: In Memoriam: Кърт Вонегът (1922-2007) (статия) - Кърт Вонегът
| Човекът зад маската на писателя в две дузини разбъркани цитати |
Вероятно тук бих могъл да започна с кратка биографична справка, после да продължа с библиографски обзор и да се прехвърля към огромната празнота, оставена от кончината на големия Вонегът в американската, а и световната белетристика и литература като цяло. Но няма да го направя, защото ще е скучно. Също така ще е и безпредметно, когато всичката тази информация е лесно достъпна и отдавна ситно смляна за асимилация от публиката. И най-вече, защото съм сигурен, че самият той не би оценил да бъде почетен по подобен начин.
Затова избрах и този по-особен път за един писател, достоен да бъде помнен и преповтарян чрез нещата, които не е премълчал – и съм сигурен, че ако не всеки, то всеки втори или трети може да намери в тях нещо, върху което да се позамисли за малко.
Почивай в мир, Кърт!
* * *
• Well, the telling of jokes is an art of its own, and it always rises from some emotional threat. The best jokes are dangerous, and dangerous because they are in some way truthful.
• We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.
• The practice of art isn't to make a living. It's to make your soul grow.
• One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.
• People have to talk about something just to keep their good voice boxes in working order, so they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
• Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
• Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
• I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
• Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
• Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
• The worst thing that could happen to anybody, would be to not be used for anything by anybody.
• The public health authorities never mention the main reason many Americans have for smoking heavily, which is that smoking is a fairly sure, fairly honorable form of suicide.
• New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.
• History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again.
• Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, And don't put up with people that are reckless with yours.
• Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.
• I think that novels that leave out technology misrepresent life as badly as Victorians misrepresented life by leaving out sex.
• Humor is an almost physiological response to fear.
• Charm was a scheme for making strangers like and trust a person immediately, no matter what the charmer had in mind.
• Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.
• Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
• A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
• All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is. Take it moment by moment, and you will find that we are all, as I've said before, bugs in amber.
• I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
За коментари: http://www.sivosten.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6663
Ако сте регистрирани във форума можете да коментирате и тук
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/sivosten/public_html/e107_plugins/tvseries/tvseries.php on line 32: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for 'EEST/3,0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/sivosten/public_html/e107_plugins/tvseries/tvseries.php on line 51: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for 'EEST/3,0/DST' instead